Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Here we go Again!

Sometimes when I have way to much time on my hands (not at my work, of course!), I come up with grand ideas. I know that to regular readers of this blog, this will probably not come as any surprise...plays, cub mobiles, parades, over the top reunions...but I digress. So as I was sitting at my desk one day, before Thanksgiving and I started thinking about all the family that was coming home for Christmas this year. Then the usual wheels start turning and I think, maybe I could host a Christmas Eve party, just like Grandma Whiting used to have. But the logical part of my brain remembers a not pleasant experience involving Christmas Eve a few years ago, and all the therapy and xanax it required to get over it.

So I suppressed my Christmas Eve idea, although I did confide in both my sister and Scott about it. After a bunch of other stuff going on, I decided I simply didn't have the energy to pull it off, so I shelved the idea and planned to move on. Then Nancy called and pretty much talked me into it, she promised to help and so I sent out the invitations.

Here it is three days till Christmas Eve, and now I think..."Allison, the next time you have one of these great ideas, walk out of the lab, walk over to the big main power line that feeds the plant, take a pair of bolt cutters and soon that idea will be out of your head!"

Oh, I have lots of help, Allie and Nancy are going to help with the food, Jake is taking care of the Nativity play, Scott and I are home this week to get ready, and yet already I am stressing. When will I learn??? Today, Mom, Nancy, Emily, Allie, Janna, Lucyann and I all went out to eat at Red Lobster (Thanks Harriet) and when someone said something about a crazy person Allie said, "Oh, yeah, you're crazy!" Well, at least it's an illness my whole family recognizes. And to make sure I'm truly crazy, we are having a cookie decorating party on Thursday for all the kids.

I hope my children remember fondly the good memories that I tried to give them...you know, before I went away to my special hospital!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have such fond memories of Christmas Eve's spent out at the ranch. Those were some of the most special memories I have from growing up. I wish I could have made it. I know my mom enjoyed having you do that. I also know things aren't like I remember them and that makes me sad. I think it was wonderful you did that - even if it was a lot of work.