Sunday, May 20, 2012

Oh Baby!

This morning I was rolling out of bed around 7:00, when Scott said, "What are you doing".  My response, "Going to check on the babies" "UGH" was the return.
I'm not really sure how that happened, it started so innocently. I went into Murdoch's and there were the little baby chicks.  OK, I was down to 10 hens so additional chicks were understandable.  Maybe 20 was a bit much. At least they are a few weeks old now and able to wander around the goat pasture.
My sister Donna called me few months ago about raising her some peacocks (something about a reptile rescue and poisonous snakes deciding if they ever get free to go directly to her house). Well, have you ever tried to find peacock chicks?  Not to mention the price...so it was suggested that guinea fowl are just as effective at attacking snakes.  I picked up 1/2 dozen.  They are going to be relocated as soon as they are big enough to not be a hawk's lunch.
 After losing Shadrach we realized that two goats does not a herd make. So we attempted to adopt an older goat named Snickers.  That didn't work very well, considering she bit me and threw Diva around like a rag doll. So we took her home because you can take the goat out of Clifton, but apparently you can't take Clifton out of the goat.  On the way home we found Meshach and Abed-nego in Whitewater. 
They are so tiny.

They also have super floppy ears.

 My sister Nancy is crazy about Pigs.  She has pigs all over her house...ceramic, metal, calendar...every gift giving holiday I have told her I would get her a pig.  She assured me many times that would be awesome, so this Mother's Day I went up Whitewater Creek and found....
 Lola. 
Nancy named her, she was so surprised.  I gave her a book about pig care, she opened it and said, "Very funny, where's my pig?"  You should have seen the look on her face when I said, "Right outside"
 There is a small problem.  For many years Nancy has bought Frank and Princess smoked pig's ears.  Unfortunately, Frank has trouble realizing that Lola's are not for chewing on.  Apparently they smell the same, Lola however, believes that turnabout is fair play, so every time Frank goes for her ears...she goes for his. 
Lola is living in our kennel, and may be getting a friend soon.  In the meantime Scott is working on a pig palace for her, complete with a pig pond.  I assured him she didn't need water slide...but maybe...

She is pretty cute, I'm not sure what Nancy will do with her, maybe have a 400 lb pig on a leash or Christmas Dinner!

In the meantime, this is kind of what our walks look like...
Scott's a good sport.

I'm really not sure where all these babies came from...but like alot of babies they kind of just happened...
By the way, you know your husband of 21 years loves you if he is willing to shampoo pig poop out of the carpet in the back of your mini van.

4 comments:

Shella's Ramblings said...

Lola is a cute pig! I would laugh so hard watching you guys on a walk

allison said...

So come take one with us. Bring your Grandma for a visit!

Nancy Nina said...

All of your babies are so cute! Those goats, I just gush.

We had guinea fowl when we lived in West Bountiful. They were very loyal and excellent with all the bugs, etc. Love their polka dot feathers.

Donna Lyn said...

Those little birds are looking good - and there are lots of bugs to be ate - we hope the snakes stay on the East side of Delta! Lola's a cutie - Scott is a pretty good sport all right - lol - by the way, does the government give you a tax credit for each one of your babies? Love the pictures Allison - Great idea for a coffee table book...