Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Gentle Cooing of a Dove

When I was growing up we hardly had any doves around the house. There were a ton of pigeons that lived in great fear of me after receiving my pellet gun at age 12, but I digress. We started getting Mourning Doves a couple years ago when some common Grackles chased them out of Palisade. I don't consider the cooing of doves a relaxing sound. I don't like the way they are always hanging around, they are too big for my bird feeders so they sit on the edge, dump all the seed on the ground then eat it.

This morning we were heading out and I noticed a big fat dove sitting right outside my back door. I told Emily to wait, and I reached for my BB gun that I keep by the door. Emily was confused, "Why don't you like doves? They are the universal symbol of peace." In that moment of clarity I realized why I don't like doves, I am not a peaceful person!!!



No comments: