Thursday, March 26, 2009

Is it just me?

Alright, just be forewarned, this is a rant. Last night I took Emily in for the "New Beginnings" program at the church. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this program, it is one of the two major programs of the year for the Young Women's. It is designed to welcome new young women with their parents and explain a little about the program. Now I realize these programs take a lot of planning and work (or they are supposed to). However once again I realized that this is not the same church I belonged to growing up. Because I am extremely old fashioned, I make my daughter wear a dress to events like this, and that includes pantie hose (pay attention Jackie and Diane, I know we have had this discussion). But I would be willing to overlook the pantyhose if anyone there besides the two of us would have even had a skirt on! That's right, it was a sea of denim! Apparently, the young women's program has gone so down hill that we don't even dress up for one of the two main programs of the year. Everyone there, including the ward leaders and even the stake leaders were in jeans. Jeans! Now, I realize that they are comfortable, trust me, I wear jeans to work every day, I love them, but what the hell? Isn't part of the reverence we are attempting to show our children about how to properly dress to participate in the Lord's programs? During the program they talked about church dances, and how there is a dress code, the whole time I am thinking do you not make the correlation? If there is a dress code for dances what the heck do you think there is for all of you sitting here right now? And not to cast to many aspersions, but there are a lot of middle aged Mormon women who would look a lot better in a skirt than the old, stretched out, over washed, frayed jeans! I was raised to respect the church and its programs, my mother would have been so embarrassed if I had attempted to wear jeans to an event like this. So come hell or high water, Emily and I will continue to show up for functions like this overdressed!

2 comments:

Jason and Allison said...

Glad to see someone else piss and moan. Makes me feel not so different after all.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the comment. I was paying attention to the panty hose part, too.