Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Whirlwind Trip

Every year just around Thanksgiving, Nancy or I will say..."Man, I could sure use a trip to Salt Lake, but I just don't know when I'm going to have a free day to run over there." So almost every year, we manage to find one day. One special day that we usually leave obscenely early, dash over, hit our stores and drive home in less than ideal weather. This year was rather special, because we actually managed to spend one night...thanks to my sweet husband who took care of the kids and Kassie, plus my great brother-in-law who had some frequent stay points that got us a couple of sweet rooms.



So Sunday, in a storm, we headed over. Fortunately we only had sleet part of the way, you know the first half and the second half. Monday morning we hooked up with Donna and started out bright and early...sorry you didn't get a hot breakfast Donna.



8:45 - Church Distribution Center (and discovered it didn't open until 9:00)



9:45 - Ok, ok, come on you guys, we can't spend all day in one place...let's move





10:00 - Alright, here's our strategy. I just need to get the sofa I've already picked out. The rest of you, skip the top floor and I will meet you downstairs.


10:50 - Oh man, Scott gave me 68 tie downs...I wonder if I have to use them all. Well, if I don't I'm sure to be sorry. I think the blue tarp with paint on it makes us look a little redneck.



11:20 - Ok, you guys go on in, there are a couple of air gaps in the tarp. I'll get them nailed down while you pick up what you need here. Lunch? We don't have time for that. Move, Move, Move.


12:00 - Seriously, don't people in Orem/Prove have to work? Why is there so much traffic on University?


12:30 - University Mall, do you think it's selfish if I only get the ones I like?


2:30 - Why don't they ever have boxed nativities left? Of course, it was time to renew my platinum membership, since I only use it in December. Why don't they have any of my favorite books?
4:00- Finally find Donna's new step daughters house, basically toss her onto the front step. (Sorry Donna... and you forgot your Lehi Roller mills bag, but you did end up with my See's candy).


5:00 - One last stop at the Deseret Book in Spanish Fork, they have boxed Nativities.

We managed to get home around 10:00, but the fog through the desert was really thick, and while Nancy and I think we are hilarious, my Mother apparently doesn't always share our humour and punished us by refusing to speak to us from Crescent Junction to the state line.

We both made it to work on Tuesday, but maybe we are getting a little old for this shopping trip. Well...until next December.

1 comment:

NANA AND GRAMPS said...

Thanks - I started laughing while I was reading it (cause your right we are hilarious) and had to answer a phone in the middle of it. I really love these trips, I think Mom really, secretly thinks we are funny too. She just won't admit it.