Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy Birthday & Happy New Year!!

Well, 2010 found the Dederick family...asleep! Yes, we aren't much for staying up and ringing in the new year, but Scott tries to stay awake at least until after 10:00 our time, because that means he is officially one year older. Being married to a New Year's baby isn't to bad, at least you don't forget and have it sneak up on you.

When we were first married I asked Scott what his favorite dish was, so that I could make it for his birthday. How was I to know it was sauerbraten? I had never even heard of such a thing. It turns out to be almost the national dish of Germany!!! (Because you know what renown cuisine the German's have. You know when you are out with a group of people, trying to decide where to go to eat...Mexican, italian,...german.)

Anyway, for those of you who are not familiar with this dish, you take a perfectly good roast and do unspeakable things to it. The German's believe that vinegar is actually an ingredient...growing up I just thought you had vinegar to color Easter eggs. But because I do love my husband, and it is his favorite I made his speciality again this year. I did go on to Food Network and get a new recipe for it from my favorite AB, so it was a little more vinegary this year, and I never did find the dried juniper berries it required. But all in all, a successful birthday tradition completed.

Now, that being said, I would like to take a minute and wish my dear husband a Happy Birthday. He really is a good guy, and my very best friend. I can't imagine a day without him and appreciate everything that he is. I love him more that anything and hope I have him for another 47 years.

Happy Birthday Scooter!

1 comment:

Nancy Nina said...

I remember when our sweet German neighbor lady brought us a roast that had been cooked with dill pickles all over it. It was actually delicious but yeah, what's with the constant vinegar flavor...in everything?!