Monday, March 29, 2010

If this is a Concussion, I'll Take It

I'm rather old fashioned, and I was raised to believe that Easter is that wonderful Sunday when you can start wearing white shoes and you should get a new Easter dress. However, this year Easter Sunday happens to coincide with our church's General Conference. So planning ahead, because I do that also, I told Emily we would go Easter dress shopping last Thursday. My plan was she could wear her dress a week early because of conference.

But, when I called her at 3:15 on Thursday, she told me she had forgotten and rode the bus home. OK, no big deal, she is 14 and dyed blond, so she is entitled to forget a few things. I went home to pick her up and take her back into the church for a dance practice for a regional dance thing this summer, we were running late so dinner was Taco Bell. While on our way to dance I asked her about forgetting to stay after, "Well," she said,"After the basketball, everything went blurry and I just forgot things." What??? "Oh, didn't I tell you? I walked in the gym today for weights class, and a boy had kicked a basketball from clear across the gym. It hit me right on the top of my head, everything went fuzzy and I got really dizzy. Then I got a headache." So I asked, "What did the coach do?" "Well, he didn't make me run the bleachers." she replied.

After two hours I picked her up and she informed me that Taco Bell before dance practice was not a good idea. Whatever!!!

Anyway, at 1:15 am, she stumbled into my bedroom and informed her father and I that she had just thrown up. Now, I didn't go to medical school, and I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I did start putting it all together...bump on the head, dizzy, nausea, and vomiting...no don't tell me, hey I think my daughter has a concussion.

Yeah, her coach confirmed on Friday, "She got hit really hard, I tried to get her to go to the nurse."

Anyway, I think the only damage, (besides her ipod, which was not vomit proof), was a few algebraic variables. But tonight when I went into her bedroom to talk to her, I noticed that her bed was made...Emily NEVER makes her bed. It must be the concussion, it's the only explanation.

No comments: