Wednesday, July 7, 2010

It's Genetic

Well, as anyone who knows me for any length of time knows, I am a bit heavy on the organized, got a great idea, grand scale events. Yes, I have been known to fantasize about organizing and planning family reunions, taken on way more than I should with Scouts and still look for more. You see, my sister's and I all have different strengths, Donna is an incredible cook and Nancy is definitely the hostess with the mostest. My forte is definitely in the dreaming up ideas and having way to much time to think about how to make them bigger.

I was thinking about some of the things I have done in just tCheck Spellinghe past 24 months, Cub Scout Camporee (for about 110 scouts), Kannah Creek Regatta Race, Cub Mobile Race, wooden ducks for the great nieces and nephews, super above and beyond Parade of Lights Float, family play at the little reunion in Arizona, Primary activities that require giant bubble wands, matching shirts for the family reunion, agreeing to drive back to Arizona this year for the big reunion, and a whole lot more projects than I can't remember.

Fortunately for me, I happen to have a husband who is amazingly accomplished in his ability to take my hair brained ideas and help make them happen, ie., "I need stage props for an old west saloon" or "I need something that will launch the cubmobiles at the same time, so we can time them" or "We need to get ready for over 100 people to camp down at the creek". He has been an incredible good sport about all of it, simply asking, "What have we got going on this weekend?"

Last night Nancy, Mom, Scott and I were looking through some of my more treasured (and hoarded) family pictures for the "Whiting Museum" at the reunion. We came across this photo that showed a bunch of kids doing a patriotic parade down our little street back in the 70's, my Mom said, "Remember that? That was from when your Dad decided to do a bicycle rodeo for all the kids. He had such good ideas." That's when it hit me, I looked over at Scott and said, "See? I can't help it, it's genetic."


So the next time my mother tells me "You're just doing to much" or Scott sighs and says, "What?" I will just remember my Dad with bicycle rodeos, scout jamborees, huge sledding parties up to Y, road shows and giant stake BBQ's that required backhoes and gravel grates. I will remember my Grandma Whiting and her Christmas and Easter Cantata's, her 24th of July pageants (one time she even made her sons clear off a spot on Kannah Creek hill to rival the Hill Cumorah pageant).You see, I simply can't help myself.

Come to think of it...a bicycle rodeo would be fun...

2 comments:

Nancy Nina said...

It's kind of like when I'm sassy and my mom says something and I just say, "I can't help it, I've got Nina in me!"

Katie said...

Man, wish I could zoom in on that picture! The ranch was a fun place to grow up on. I remember doing all sorts of fun things, even for us younger kids. Who's in charge of next year's reunion? Where are we going?