Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

I was raised in a pretty unique situation. I grew up on the family ranch with lots of cousins, aunts and uncles all within a stones throw. Today, while they were talking about Mother's Day at church I was sitting in the back (like I always do) thinking about my Mom and the women in my family. As I looked up the chapel I could see my two blond aunts sitting ahead of me (apparently the Whiting boys definitely preferred blonds!), anyway, as I was saying, I started thinking about the women in my family, and how fortunate I was to be influenced, not only by my Mother, but by these other women on a pretty regular basis.

I loved the summer time when they would all gather on our front lawn in the afternoon or early evening. They would all sit and visit, catch up on the goings on, and work out the menu for the next family dinner. Between these three sister-in-laws I am pretty sure any problem could be worked out, in fact, if they had put their mind to it, they probably could have fixed any thing, ran any business, and planned a royal wedding.

Aunt Lois - Aunt Lois taught me so many things, she was the Aunt with the best cooking, the Aunt that was the Girl's Camp director, the artistic Aunt that could paint and create. Aunt Lois is extremely practical, and she showed me how to "use it up, wear it out, or do without". She was able to cook on a fire, can vegetables and carve watermelons for Luaus. Aunt Lois could work all day, and still smile at you when you were being a smart ass. Her little half chuckle-half laugh meant that you had done good.

Aunt Donna - Aunt Donna is the Aunt that never has anything bad to say, about anyone...ever. She could rewire an entire house while she was on the phone organizing a funeral meal. Aunt Donna can remember everyone, in this stake and the west, I mean not just their names, but their children's names and where their family comes from. Aunt Donna can play every piece of music on the piano that anyone has ever thrown at her and remember to take a meal into Sister Soandso. When ever I made my sarcastic remarks to Aunt Donna she would just sigh and smile, she is the Aunt with the softest and biggest heart.

Finally - my Mom. One day my Grandma Whiting was bragging about her daughters-in-law talents, when she got to my Mom she said, "and Harriet...well, you have executive abilities". We still laugh about it, but it's true. My Mom has a head for business, and she's had a head for business way before women were supposed to. She took care of all the ranch business, property maps, contracts, loans, etc. She still knows more about reservoir water rights and property assessments than I ever will. She taught me so many things, how to work, how to take care of your family, and how to have fun. She taught me that it's OK to have a bad day, but don't stay there to long. I could spend the rest of the day telling all the things my Mother taught me, but there isn't enough room on the Internet for all of it.

Anyway, these three remarkable women are the strongest women that I have ever known. They have endured through every imaginable event, loss, joy, heartache and more. They have survived, they have squared their shoulders and pushed through. The pioneers have nothing on these women. They definitely set the bar pretty high. I'm sure I won't measure up, but I'm so glad I have had the chance to know these remarkable women all of my life.

Happy Mother's Day

No comments: