Monday, October 17, 2011

No Clue

I am a bad parent. It's true. I have no idea what I'm doing, there I said what I think everyone else has been saying. Well, what do you expect? They just sent these children home with me from the hospital and the only thing they checked was if I had the car seat installed properly. The little buggers don't come with any instructions, there isn't any license or certifications required. So here it is over 16 years later and I still don't know for sure how to do it.

I just wing it. Once many years ago I worked with a guy and his daughter who was also named Emily. She was such an awesome young woman, one day I told him he had done such a good job I should give him my daughter to raise. He looked at me bewildered and said, "I didn't do that. A pack of wolves could have raised her and she would have turned out just the same. I don't know how to be a parent, I just came to the breakfast table one day and there were five little faces looking at me."

The other day I think my son had a panic attack because "the market has been down, and the jobless rate is so high". Turns out I may be exposing my children to too much Fox News, who knew 12 year olds could get freaked out from the bad economy. I don't force my children to go to YW/YM every week, and I acknowledge that there are good leaders and bad in their lives. I let them not eat brussel sprouts and I force Emily to wear nylons with her dresses. I am obsessive compulsive about homework, but not about to much tv time. My children lecture me about swearing and talking smack about some people.

So, I am coming out of the closet and admitting what so many people know. I have no idea what I'm doing, and I plan to continue just like before.

No comments: