Sunday, October 9, 2011

The College Hunt Has Begun

College. College? Oh thanks, I've been there done that. What? Time for my daughter to start looking at colleges? No that isn't possible, I'm pretty sure she is only in third grade!

Well, today Emily and I went up to Aspen for the Western Colorado College Fair. (Ok, we missed church) Anyway, off we went because Emily just turned 16, and apparently the clock is seriously ticking. According to the counselors at GJHS we are already behind schedule. So there we were, with over 200 colleges in attendance and only three hours to look through them. There were colleges from every state in the union, ranging from Harvard (yes, Harvard) to IntelliTech. I think we are somewhere in between. The trouble is Emily wants to go into structural or architectural engineering (this week), so we are definitely not looking for a liberal arts college. Of course she found the perfect college...in Vermont.
Currently she seems to be interested in the following:
Vermont Tech
Colorado School of Mines
CU
Westminster
U S Coast Guard Academy (they include big guns with engineering)

Of course I have no idea who is going to pay for any of these colleges, but the dialogue has begun. We filled out enough of the little interest cards that our mail box should be over flowing in the next couple months. Next comes all the tests, PSAT, SAT, ACT, ASVAB, blah, blah, blah.

I'm not sure how the heck I ever went to college, I guess that is why I just stayed at MIT (you know Mesa in Town). But, even if Emily ends up at my alma mater that will be just fine. I'm glad Emily is being proactive and I hope all the entrance stuff doesn't overwhelm all of us. So begins a new chapter in our lives, well in two years, since we just started our junior year, but hey...the clock is ticking!

No comments: