Monday, June 10, 2013

How I Learned to Love Nerds

When I was growing up, I always pictured myself marrying a cowboy, living in a farmhouse somewhere. After all, my vast knowledge of all things country living that I accumulated while growing up shouldn’t go to waste. Seriously…how many people do you know that know how to pull a calf, bottle feed it, dehorn it, brand it, castrate it, feed it out, and get it to the slaughterhouse? I knew and understood Colorado water rights law before I could drive, at the ripe old age of 12. I fully understand the nitrogen depleting properties of alfalfa, and how to rotate replacement heifers into your herd to keep the genetics fresh. I know how to ride a cutting horse and how to bail hay.


So of all the people in the world, it probably came as the biggest shock to me when I ended up falling in love and agreeing to marry a computer guy in the US Air Force. To say we had some cultural differences is putting it mildly. I understood football, he played lacrosse. I grew up LDS, he grew up learning how to tend bar at the family reunion. I grew up watching Gun Smoke, he watched The Avengers.

Yes, it took me several years to admit it to myself, and even more years to get him to admit it, but he’s kind of a nerd. Don’t get me wrong; he’s a cool nerd, but still a nerd. When we first got married, he introduced me to Star Trek TNG, not a bad show, and given the other choices on TV in Iceland, I learned to like it. But, I have never gotten the hang of a lot of other nerd choices, in entertainment or activities. Sadly, or maybe not, it has even effected our children. They know how to operate our television/satellite/blue-ray/surround sound – I don’t. They know how to get a lot more out of their laptops than I do; they understand Dr. Who, have a really bizarre sense of humor, they know what all the keys on their TI84 calculator do and a whole lot more.

But, at the end of the day I have come to realize that nerds rule the world. Yes, it’s a sad fact, but all of us rely on everyday items that started in the brain of a nerd. Nerds are not distracted by popularity while growing up, they don’t seem to waste a lot of time at the mall or you know…socializing. They rarely have to worry about too much sun damage or heat stroke. I admit it has taken me a long time, but I have learned to love and accept the pasty white, computer toting, non-socializing nerdiness that makes up my family. So here’s to the nerds I love! You should probably learn to love nerds too, or at least appreciate them; they probably are going to be your boss someday.

No comments: