Sunday, March 15, 2015

Losing some Cow Creds

Image result for fibula


Two weeks ago, Jason's cow Fat Minda, had the first calf of the season. I was busy cleaning out Peppermint's temporary stall in Harriet's garage. He said she was being really protective, but I sort of disregarded that. After I cleaned out the stall, I headed up to the top of the orchard to check out the new addition. The old cow didn't seem to irritated at first, but I still didn't think I got to close. Then suddenly she was up and at me, she hit me in the chest, so I punched her between the eyes. She turned back and checked on her calf and I figured we were done, so I turned around and started back down along the fence line. That's when I heard her coming up from behind, I turned to face her just in time for her to lower her head and catch me just under the rib cage. She tossed me high enough in the air that I remember thinking, "Wow, this is just like when Daddy used to throw me up in the air when I was little".  When I came back down on the top of her head, she bumped me like a volleyball and I went back on my butt.

I hobbled home, pretty embarrassed and stopped in for a lecture from both my mother and Nancy. Then as soon as I got in the house Allie called on the phone wanting to know why I was walking like a 90 year old. I shrugged it off most of the day, Scott just shook his head. That afternoon Nancy and I went in to get tanned and do a little shopping, then I finally asked her to drop me off at the ER, because the leg was hurting pretty good. Turns out I snapped the top of the fibula at the little notch thing. They ordered and MRI, but it showed that all the tendons and soft tissue was good, but I have a pretty serious bone bruise on the inside of the tibia. Fortunately the tip that has broken off didn't move, so it is just a matter of waiting a couple months for everything to heal on its own. While going over the results the doctor asked me if I remembered how my leg had gone while she was throwing me up and my leg was squeezed between her head and a cattle panel, I told him no, but I was thinking, "How was my leg? Dude I was to busy thinking WEEEEEE!"

I have some lovely drugs, can still wear my high heels and have a pretty bruised cow credential resume. I am sure that there were a host of ancestor cattlemen on the other side of the veil watching, nodding their heads that I definitely deserved what I got.

No comments: