Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Betrayed my Dudley!

Yes, it's true! You see a few weeks ago Scott and I loaded up the dogs and took them for shots (thank you madam dog catcher, for reminding me I hadn't got the licenses yet). While we were there the vet looked in Dudley's mouth and said he had a couple abscessed teeth. "Has he been cranky lately?" she asked. Seriously? This is Dudley, he usually is...

Fast forward a couple weeks and the surgery day arrived. It is amazing how an 85# dog can decide to lay down and feel like he weighs about 150#. Of course, Scott had already left for work and I got the sole responsibility...and blame!!!

I dropped him off at the vet and promptly returned after work. They had taken three teeth out, and he was still a little wobbly when I got there. I didn't even get a tail wag when he came out, he just stared at me like I had sold him down the river. I got him loaded in the proverbial mini van and tried to talk to him all the way home. Dudley has this thing that if he doesn't want to listen to you he turns away, as if to say "If I'm not looking directly at you, you don't exist." So all the way home he just stared out the back window of the van.

We got home, he jumped out, and I went in the house. I came out to call him in to lay down, and he hid behind a tree...ignoring me. I finally sent Emily out to bring him in, oh...he came in with her! Again, refusing to look at me. I poked my head in many times that night, he just stared at me. The next morning was more of the same. It seriously broke my heart...and my wallet!

Finally when I got home the next day, he appears to have forgiven me...or he just discovered that I had the pain pills.

No comments: