Thursday, February 4, 2010

Wait a minute...

On Tuesday morning, Erik and I were going through our normal routine when my brother-in law Jay, came in the back door. I looked over and he was clutching both hands to the left hand side of his chest! "Oh no!" I thought. Then he said, "Allison...can you take me to the hospital emergency room on your way to work?"

Oh my heck!! "Of course!" I said, "Just let me get my shoes." "OK, I'll meet you out by your van. I was going to drive myself in...but I don't think I'll make it."

I quickly rush around, getting my shoes. "Is Uncle Jay having a heart attack?" Erik asked. "I think so, I better hurry." I rush out to my van and begin scraping the window, thinking I should have grabbed the bottle of aspirin I keep on the back porch for the dog. Jay came over and I asked if he had taken an aspirin. "I'm way past aspirin." he declared. I thought, "oh no, this must be bad."

We jump in the van and as I'm backing out of the driveway I wonder where my sister is, after all she is his wife. He tells me "Don't look at my hand." I think, "ok, I don't know why I would". Then I see my sister, walking calmly over from her house looking royally mad! Jay asks me to stop so he can talk to her before we leave, "She thinks I'm mad at her." he tells me.

OK, so adrenaline was riding pretty high, but it took me a few miles to realize that my brother-in-law was not having a heart attack, but had injured his hand and was bleeding. Talk about miscommunication!! I got him to the hospital, and after he got some really good drugs, they scrubbed out the joint, popped it back into the socket and sewed him up.

I'm glad Jay is OK, but next time I think I might ask for clarification before I let my heart start racing!!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hey Allison! Hope it's okay I found your blog. That's a very scary story about Jay. How did he cut his hand? I'm glad he wasn't having a heart attack!

Nancy Nina said...

Wow, can't believe Nancy busted his hand :)