Sunday, June 15, 2014

Branding at 45

My nephew Jason has decided to dabble in the cow business.  I love cows but know how much work they are, so while I enjoy looking at Jason and Allison's herd, I have zero interest in doing it myself.  The only hitch so far was that Jason had 5 calves born in early March and it was May; and they haven't been branded.  Jason talked about getting them branded since they were born, but I think he was a little nervous for his first time.  He kept giving dates, and then one thing or another would happen so the branding didn't.  Finally he claimed that Monday before Kassie graduation that he would do it.  I had the day off, Laura, Nancy, Jay, Jackie and the boys were here, even his old friend Spencer was available. 

Of course it rained a ton the night before and that morning. So when I went over to see what time, Jason suggested we push it off again.  His wife and I convinced him that a little mud beat trying to do 400# calves in June any day of the week, and did I mention that there were only 5?

Just before we started he asked me how long it had been since I had done this, OK maybe 30 years, but at least I had done it before, and as the pictures will prove - I still got it.... plus a few extra bruises.


No comments: