Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Gift of a Generous Heart

I was truly blessed with a father who had a generous heart.  My Dad wasn't  rich when he died, but he had over 500 people come to his funeral.  I remember when my cousin was upside down on her mobile home that she had bought, my Dad arranged to buy it and incorporate it into a land deal he was making.  A few years later when my sister was in the same boat, I don't recall any of my uncles stepping up to the plate.  I'm not sure where my Dad acquired this nature, I don't think any of his siblings are so inclined. 

Having a generous heart is very different from just being kind.  Having a generous heart required that you give the most precious of all resources, yourself. It's the difference between feeling compassion for someone, and actually doing something for them. It's spending your resources to make people happy, like remembering when someone needs a coke, or something in their past that connects you with them.

I'm not sure if this gift is a learned trait or inherited, but I was blessed to see it firsthand.

No comments: