Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Dudley


Well, here he is, my Dudley, my doodles, my grumpy old man, my faithful doggy companion. No, I don't have any idea what his pedigree might be, he doesn't do any tricks, and he really isn't house trained. However, that being said, what he is...is my most devoted dog. Oh Tina likes me, but Dudley would lay down his life for me in a minute. He is the most devoted dog in the world, if I'm on the ranch and not in my house, you can know exactly where I am by looking for Dudley. Lots of time he will be laying right on the doorstep of where ever I am.

That's not to say he doesn't have his faults, he is a res dog. But at least he has the presence of mind to look a little ashamed after a morning of chicken killing, but I'm not naive enough to know he won't do it again. He doesn't like little kids, and chases cars on the street.

He tolerates Erik, likes Scott and Emily, but I think if the house were on fire and he could only save one of us, I'm the one he would drag out. I think it's because I saved him. I went to the shelter 8 years ago looking for a beagle they had advertised, and found him. He was sitting alone in a corner and had been there for 9 months. They told me he had come from Shiprock, NM and that was all the information I needed (because if you have ever been through Shiprock you know exactly what I am talking about).

He is getting older now, and his hips bother him, but he is still the alpha male of the pack and regularly puts Frank in his place. Some days he frolics with Tina and Daisy acting like a puppy, but since I don't know his true age and he seems to be slowing down a little, I wonder how much longer he will be my security detail. This morning I saw him lead the pack out to chase a couple does in the alfalfa field behind the house and that alone made for a good morning. So for now, I will just love him and try to be the person he thinks I am.

1 comment:

Nancy Nina said...

Ah, love Dudley!

If you're still looking for that beagle, I may be able to help you out...