Monday, August 3, 2009

An Unexpected Phone Call

Well, as I have previously blogged, the R.E. Whiting Reunion has sucked up a ton of my energy and planning this summer. As of Tuesday morning, I assured my husband of three things, 1) I would never again ask him to drive to Arizona for a family reunion 2) he never had to be "Dude Rascal" again, and finally 3) I would not volunteer to do anything for a reunion for a very long time.

We had both taken last week off, which was good, we needed it to recover from our trip to AZ. So we cleaned the garage, went to the Farmer's Market and generally relaxed around the house. On Saturday night, I was busy working on a baby blanket for a co-worker (hurrying to get it done before Sunday, so I wouldn't have to pick out the stitches with my nose for sewing on the Sabbath) when the phone rings, and Scott says, "It's for you."

It turns out the caller was a second cousin of mine, Christene Sowby. OK, that is a little weird, then she informs me she lives in the valley of the sun. Interesting, but still not dawning on me why she is calling. Then she informs me she is in charge of the "big" EM Whiting Reunion in 2010. At this point, alarm bells are starting to go off. (I had already told Scott I had no interest in attending and camping with a thousand of my closest relatives, so this is not great news.) She goes on to tell me how she had heard about my families performance at the homestead last weekend and asked if we would be interested in performing for the Friday night program, August 6th, 2010 (nothing like planning in advance). By the way, she wouldn't admit who had ratted us out.

So I told her I had a lot of people I had to check with, three sisters, a brother-in-law, a couple nephews, a couple of nieces and more importantly my husband. So after that I looked at Scott and he said, "I guess..." I go to my sister's (thinking at least one out of the three would say no) oh, they were all jazzed, and my brother-in-law had just been saying how he would like to go down to one of the big reunions. Grand!!! My hair was falling out just dealing with the "little" reunion, by the time next August comes I will probably be bald!! Scott is already talking about how he will have to make set adjustments for the outdoor stage (literally over 1000 people come to this reunion, and they can't fit everyone into the rec hall). Well, I have to go, I think I hear a Xanax calling me...

No comments: