Saturday, May 15, 2010

Expensive Week!

I can't take to many more of these! You see, Erik started going to the orthodontist a little over two years ago. He had a cross bite that wouldn't wait. Not bad, or co-pay was a little over $500. Then about six months ago he came out of what I thought was a regular visit with braces, that was unexpected. Then a couple months later he came out with bottoms...hhmmm. I started thinking about Emily's braces, a little over a year ago and that price tag, co-pay $1500.

Maybe....I decided I wouldn't ask!

Then on Monday, at a regular appointment, they caught up with me. "Mrs. Dederick? Could you come in the office for a minute? We noticed that Erik has started his second phase and we forgot to get the contract with you." She gently slides the papers over the desk, sure enough. I'm not sure what the co-pay will end up being but the bottom line on the papers was $3575. Ouch.

On Tuesday, Emily and I had our visit to the hairdresser. Two colors, cuts and waxes will run you over $100 easily.

Wednesday came...a trip to the optometrist. Emily claims she is having trouble seeing the board at school. Turns out she's pretty blind. A trip to buy eyeglasses, did you know they aren't covered by most insurances?

So I just stayed home the rest of the week, to give my checkbook a break. On the plus side, Scott is very pleased. His 14 year old daughter has braces, will soon have glasses and plays chess. There is a significant decrease in boy appeal with all that going on! Oh we know eventually the braces will come off, she will either get lasiks or contacts and then we will worry more, but we will enjoy it while it lasts!

1 comment:

Nancy Nina said...

That's why I laugh when people talk about how expensive infant formula and diapers are...oh, just you wait.

And what's with cross bites? I had one and Jameson has one. Must be a Smirl thing.