Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fish Guts

Today was the last day of school!!!! YEAH!!! Ok, I am happier than my children. That is strange I know, last night I went up to check on Erik and found him very unhappy, lying in his bed. "What's wrong?" I asked. "It's just been such a great year, I don't want it to be over." he said. My first thought was: Who are you and what have you done with my son?

It has been a great year, but I love summers with my kids, we can stay up late, I don't have to worry about mockingbird essays and spelling words.

To celebrate the last day of school, I proposed taking the Cub Scouts fishing at Corn Lake. This wasn't a major outing, since the lake is right along the Colorado River, just off 32 Rd. So we had about 8 scouts there (that's pretty good on a Wednesday of the last day of school). We had one dad that was really good at snagging the fish and letting the various boys reel them in, and they caught some nice ones too. So being the woman that I am, I told the boys that if they were going to keep the fish, they had to clean them. They looked at me very concerned, so I got out my Dad's knife and started showing them how to clean out the guts and cut off the heads. We all got busy working when I looked up and saw no less than 3 Dads watching us and offering advice. Now I'm not one to relegate roles in life based on the X or Y chromosome, but something about this just seemed incredibly wrong. As I sit here a couple hours and a good shower later, I swear I can still smell fish guts.

No comments: