Monday, March 18, 2013

Collegiate Hunt

So as I have rambled on and on about it, the time is drawing nigh when my little Emily must choose a college.  To say this is a bit overwhelming for her would be an understatement. I must admit that I have done very little to help her in either her application process or her selection of where she wants to go to school.  This isn't because I don't care...when I was a senior, my sister Ellen convinced me that Snow College was the very best place in the world to go, that was a huge mistake.

Emily gets to choose her own place, one thing is certain, she doesn't want to transfer after she starts school. She has been offered a variety of scholarships (no full rides, after all she is a middle income white girl), and she has been accepted by every school she applied to except BYU Provo.

So, she has decided the following schools are probably out of the running:

Vermont Technical Institute: Her dream school, I'm not really sure why. But, I did put my foot down about her moving to Vermont.

Oregon Institute of Technology: To far as well, plus Oregon is full of those liberals.

Montana Tech: Butte????  Maybe as a last resort...

BYU Idaho: She honestly only applied here because she could just check the box while she was filling out the application for BYU.

Colorado Mesa University: She was offered almost a full scholarship here, but they don't have a civil engineering program.

University of Arizona: An amazing engineering school, but I am seriously concerned about my daughter living in Tucson.

These schools are still being considered:

Northern Arizona University: This school is still in the running.  They have a pretty good engineering program, have offered some scholarships, and she think Flagstaff would be a pretty good place to live, we agree on that.

Utah State University: Still in the running as well, we are heading there for an on-site visit on Saturday.
It is easier to get to than Flagstaff, but we shall see.

Colorado School of Mines: Honestly the biggest surprise.  They were the last to come in, we were thrilled, it has the highest standards of any college in Colorado, and Forbes ranked them in the top 10 best engineering schools in the country. We have a campus visit scheduled for April 8th, it's close, but it is pretty pricey.

So the three still in are NAU, USU and Mines....

About BYU Provo... well she had all the right qualifications, honestly we were pretty surprised when they turned her down.  But, for whatever reasons they had...it's their loss. Truthfully, the biggest reason for going to BYU Provo was the cost, personally, BYU has always given me hives. I know, it's Zion! Well, having a second cousin who was once President of BYU, and knowing some of the people that have gone there...meh...she can do better.

SO....where will she land????  May 1st is the deadline....stay tuned

No comments: