Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I'm his wife, not his warden.

It happened again yesterday, the phone rings, I answer and have the following conversation:

Them: Hello, is Scott/Brother Dederick home?

Me: No, I'm sorry he's still at work.

Them: Well, ugh...what time does he normally get home?

Me: I don't know, when he's done I guess.

Them: Well, I've tried his cell phone, he didn't answer.

Me: Well, if he's in the hospital, he won't answer it.

Them: I need to get a hold of him, I need......(variety of responses here, usually a computer problem)

OK, I have a couple things going on here:

My husband is an adult. Sometimes he answers his phone, lots of times he doesn't.  Here's a news flash, he pays the bill for his cell phone, it is for HIS convenience, not yours.

I have been married to the man for almost 22 years, I still don't know when his regular time to get home is.  He works until he is done, he makes sure that any computer that needs to be working is - even if that means staying until 3 am.

Do I worry when he isn't home...ugh...no...should I?? I trust my husband, and I know how much he loves being home, so if he isn't at home there is something that needs to be done.

Now the next part is a little tricky, you see most of Scott's calls from members of the church are in regards to his computer skills, and the truth of the matter is I resent it a little bit.

I grew up with a Dad that worked when there was work to be done. If I needed him or Sister SeriouslyScrewedUpMyLife called I could track him down pretty easily when he was a Bishop.  My Dad didn't have a 9-5 and neither does my husband.

So, when you call and he isn't immediately available, don't ask me... 

No comments: