Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Micro Audit

That sounds like it is a little deal, doesn't it? I mean, micro is small right? But my micro audit is tomorrow, and it doesn't feel small at all!!! I have been all alone in my lab (which normally has two analysts) for well over a year now, since my lab mate became my boss.  While I can do microbiology, it isn't my favorite any more. Back in at Weber Basin, I did micro almost exclusively for about 2 years. Anyway, I haven't really done micro here for about 10 years, it was my lab-mates job and when he was on vacation I used the dummy method of micro. But now I have been doing it, along with all my regular chemistries and plant work.

Anyway, the state requires yearly blind audit samples for all my methods (I currently have two micro/bacteriological methods) and then an on-site every other year. Well, normally I haven't worried to much about the on-site for micro, because that was the other analysts forte and I only needed to show up. Not this year, my auditor is a nice guy but I must admit I am a little nervous.  Plus, just in case I'm not stressed enough about it, they have finally hired a new guy for the lab...and guess what?? his first day is...yup, tomorrow!

I like chemistries much better, they are definitely more defined and you know exactly what you are going to get with specific concentrations and analysis.  Micro is as much art as it is science, I never know if my 1:1,000,000 dilution of psuedomonas is going to yield a countable number or if I should have done a 1:10,000,000 dilution.  Not to mention, I had to do my inhibitory residue test this last month...it took me 4 tries to get the right numbers of that nasty enterobactor to grow! Fortunately today though those numbers came back just right...talk about the nick of time.

Ok if you are still reading this, you must be bored!! Even my mother gets a glazed over look when I talk about my job.  All I really want is some sympathy and maybe a few extra prayers, because even though it is scheduled for 9:00 am, my auditor will be rolling up on his BMW motorcycle at 8:10 tomorrow, so I hope I am ready.

No comments: