Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pressure Perfect

Yesterday I was blog surfing. I know! Can you believe I wasn’t productively using my time to solve the world’s problems, worry about the new royal baby, reading my scriptures or calling less active families in our ward? Such a slacker…


Which brings me to today’s rant. I can’t believe all the stupid picture perfect family blogs out there (to be fair, many haven’t been updated for a really long time, which indicates to me that they found their lives boring also). But, I did find quite a few that only chronicled the birthday parties, the momentous mother’s day feelings, pictures of the “most awesome family vaca EVER”, discussions on how awesomely blessed they are to have the most super supportive husband ever, ugh..nauseous! I can only wonder at one of the many causes in this day and age of why families manage to absolutely fall apart with amazing speed.

My niece Allison and I were discussing the “Perfect, everything’s perfect face” that so many people feel the need to put on when at church or school. Why in the world do people insist that everything in their lives look so cookie cutter perfect to strangers or even fellow family members. Why put that incredible pressure on yourselves? Your spouse? Your children? Why put yourself in that glass house? I think that every time I read on a blog or on Facebook about how perfect someone writes that their spouse is, or how wonderful their marriage is…are they trying to convince me? Or themselves?

My mother used to say that couples that loved in public; fight in private and couples that fight in public; love in private. I think the more updated version of that might be: Couples that FB their undying love; fight in private. This was evidenced very clearly at our family reunion this summer, when a member of my family observed a heated scene of a cousin slapping her husband (yeah! You were observed and you really should get some help, because that is completely un-acceptable; and you know who you are!).

Anyway – back to my rant- to all those picture perfect people out there…get over yourself! Have a reality check and deal with your life, because no one, and I mean no one is perfect on this earth today. And for all of you people that are busy making sure your glass house is so shiny…watch out for that rock!!!

No comments: