Saturday, May 31, 2014

A More Innocent Time?


Last weekend we had a half hour to kill before the program came on that we actually wanted to watch.  Scrolling through the endless channels I happened to see Gidget was playing on one of the movie channels.  I flipped over to it, thinking that it had been a really long time since I had seen a Gidget movie.  Just then Emily came in and became quite interested, mostly because the whole premise and reality of the movie was so foreign to her.  Of course I can’t keep my mouth shut and began making rather sarcastic remarks about the entire movie. 

1)      Are we to believe that if Gidget manages to go her entire 16th birthday/summer without MoonDoggie pinning her that her entire life is laid to ruin?

2)      Is there any worse special effects than that of Sandra Dee attempting to learn to surf?

3)      Why does her father appear to be old enough to be her grandfather?

4)      Where does the big Kahuna get his money from?

5)      Why aren’t Gidgets parents concerned about her hanging out on a beach with a bunch of older men that they have never met?

6)      How many bathing suits does she have?

7)      Why does the father allow the much younger police officer to lecture him on how to properly raise children?

8)      Why does Gidget try to take a leg of lamb to the beach party?
I have so many questions! I am pleased however that Emily found this movie and the idea of spending an entire summer attempting to attract one boy absolutely baffling.  A little later while talking to my sister Nancy, I mentioned that we had watched the last little bit of Gidget, (knowing that it is one of her favorites) “Oh, isn’t that a great movie, don’t you just wish for those times? You know when things were more innocent?” uhmmmm….I think she missed the part about the orgy on the beach at the end of the summer.  Innocent??? No I don’t think so.

No comments: