Saturday, May 31, 2014

Vanilla People

Many years ago I had an uncle that ran for Mesa County Commissioner. I remember during the campaign a radio announcer saying, "John Whiting is the only man I know that would go into Baskin Robbins and order vanilla". To be fair I think Uncle John would have at least picked strawberry. The other day I thought about vanilla people. 

I wonder about people that are vanilla, you know, never change, never anything slightly controversial, they dress very conservative, they smile politely, never make any waves... how dull. Personally I can't even begin to imagine how that would be, to go through life without any ups or downs, like traveling forever across a calm lake.

Even though I occasionally have to eat a lot of crow, I would never change my up and down life. When they say variety is the spice of life, I whole heartedly agree.

No comments: