Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Scouting




For those who have known me any length of time, you probably know my former stance on the Boy Scouts of America. Growing up I felt that this misogynistic, elitist program was at the least outdated. After all I could do anything a scout could do, and I didn't earn a badge! I vowed that any boy of mine would be free from these uniform trappings and their secret language. But what could I do when last year my son brought home a flyer from the cub scout pack that meets at the school, looked at me with those golden-green eyes and said, "But, I really want to be a cub scout Mom." In retrospect, I should have bought him a pony!



Fast forward to this year, and I am now a Bear Den leader, and the committee chair for our pack. I have no idea how this happened! Now I have meetings constantly, I know about badges and rank requirements, I have popcorn stacked in every room of my home, I even know the secret language, such as "roundtable" and "district". And now my life has been consumed with this float. The Grand Junction Parade of Lights is this weekend, it is traditionally the coldest day of the year. We have been working on this float for days. As a result I don't have my house decorated for Christmas, I don't have my Christmas shopping done, I don't have my Dad's tree decorated, and I don't have a single present wrapped! But it will all be worth it after Sunday, because we are going to win the Parade of Lights this year. So wish us luck, and if you're in town
this weekend, go to the Parade of Lights and cheer for entry number 9!

Oh yeah, and I have revised my stance on Scouts.




No comments: