Sunday, September 30, 2012

Not Exactly Up to Scott's Standards

Anyone that has spent time with my husband knows what a perfectionist he is when it comes to building things. Everything from an old west bar for the family play to laying tile and building goat houses. Anything that Scott builds he spends a lot of time and effort into making it “just right”. That is why my decision this weekend is killing him.

Fall is getting away from me. I have so many projects that need to get done, right in the middle of the back into the school swing of things, Emily’s senior year, and having a German exchange student coming in 2 ½ weeks. One of the things that I have not dealt with all summer was a shelter for the pigs. See, I haven’t been all that clear on what the future holds for the pigs. Originally I figured we would have them for a few months, the novelty would wear off and then we would have some bacon and ham. But, then I found out how much fun their personalities were and I saw an add on Craig’s List for a guy that “pimps” out his boar. So this has led to many discussions with my sister Nancy about the future of our little piggy girls. Trying to decide has left us in limbo because the pig breeding business will require a significant facilities investment, and until I know for sure I’m not quite ready to invest all that much time and $$ to the project.

In the mean time, the fall is upon us, it is getting cooler, the rains have started and every time I go out to feed, the pigs look longingly over at the goat’s very nice shelter and then back at me with accusation in their eyes. So, knowing that my over the top husband would require several days of research and building for a shelter I have been searching for alternatives. My niece Allison, suggested a straw shelter, a type that she has used previously (sounds like it would be pretty tempting for a wolf with strong respiration skills). So I had just decided that would work, when I saw another add on Craig’s list and realized I had an old camper shell too…


The girls love it.

OK, they are pigs. I don’t think there is such a thing as a “nice” pig shelter…

It’s not like it is in the front yard…

I know, it is so redneck…

1 comment:

Carran Manning said...

I was so excited to find this little gem of shelter. I have a used camper shell I have been trying to sell or either come up with a way to use it. I would like to get some barn cats and this would make a great shelter for them on a smaller scale. I think it is lovely and I am sure the pigs love it!.