Sunday, October 7, 2012

...it's still unfair...

I am approaching (in a couple years) the point when I will have been Allison Dederick as long as I was Allison Whiting. The fact that because I got married I had to change my name still irritates me. For the record I did ask Scott to take my name when we got married...he said no. I am a very traditional person, you know, no white shoes after labor day, the boy should ask the girl out, etc. But this bugs me.

I spent almost 23 years making sure people knew Allison Whiting, only to have that completely disappear in one day. To be fair I don't know if I was making my name famous or infamous, but 23 years of work for virtually nothing. It's just not fair. People who went to school with Scott know that Scott is still Scott Dederick 50 years later, people who went to school with me now have to ask, "What's her married name now?". I guess I could have kept my maiden name, but that's a little to liberal for me, I did attempt to hyphenate when I first started in the water business, but had a friend say, "Seriously Allison, you don't want to be one of those."

There has to be a better solution. In Iceland the last name of a person is their father's first name with son or dottir (depending on their gender) as their last name. So in a single family there can be up to four last names, like Helga Gunnersdottir, Sigurd Anderson. While that is a challenge for genealogy it might be an option.And what about those women who get remarried with children??? Do you keep the maiden name, the name of your children or the name of your new husband? It's confusing and dumb...surprisingly I don't have a solution, and it's a problem I have pondered for many years. At the end of the day...it's still not fair...

No comments: