Tuesday, October 16, 2012

That Didn't Happen

I was engaged once before I met Scott. To say that my family didn't like him would be to put it mildly. He was older, divorced and not the wisest choice. However, I was the fifth daughter, so while my parents let me know they weren't thrilled they still loved me and supported me. I realized that he probably wasn't for me, but circumstances were a little difficult because at about the same time I came to that realization, his mother passed away. Awkward. My parents, unaware of my change of heart and being supportive, took dinner in during that time and met his family for the first time that night. Later, I remember I was watching TV when my Dad came in the room, he leaned one hip up on his pool table and told me he needed to talk to me. My Dad wasn't usually very serious, so this was pretty unusual.

Dad: We took dinner in to *** family tonight.

Me: Yeah, I know that was nice.

Dad: You're going into science right?

Me: Yeah, my major is biology.

Dad: Well, I'm going to put this scientifically so you will understand, if you marry **** your kids will be retarded. There is something really wrong with that family and I think you should know that.

Me: OK, but I can't break up with him right now.

Dad: I know

Well, I didn't marry him and thanks to his stalking ways I ended up going to Iceland and meeting my wonderful husband. Fast forward almost 23 years and the other night I was taking Emily in to an academic awards ceremony...again. On the way in we stopped and got the mail. Lately all my mail is for Emily, colleges seeking her interest, but that day there was a letter from the Society of Women Engineers, Emily wants to go into engineering. She opened the letter (even though it was addressed to her Dad) and found, among other things, a sticker that said


My Engineering Student


Emily all but rolled on the floor boards laughing, "Isn't that awesome? I love it" Then she looked over at my absolutely blank face. "Don't you think that's funny Mom?" I flat out told her I didn't get it. "You know, the square root of any negative is i " OK. When we got to the school she showed it to her Dad, who immediately got it as well. Later I was sitting in the audience watching her get her award and thought back to what my Dad had warned me about so long ago...well, I guess that didn't happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mom, I guess.

Shella's Ramblings said...

I have fond memories of that pool table. Emily definitely has Scott's sense of humor.