Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Not Enough Time

Harriet and I got to speak in church on Sunday. I was so excited. I love to talk in church and they so rarely ask me. That is because there is so much that I need to tell the people in my ward.... Anyway, for two weeks all I heard from Harriet was how she shouldn't have said yes, that maybe she should go out of town, etc. When we got to church on Sunday, I was scheduled first with Harriet being the concluding speaker. She immediately informed the bishopric that I really should be last because I was going to take up a lot more time. OK, that was fine, I am usually pretty good at stretching it. But the real secret was, I have heard the old woman speak before, and once she gets on a roll there is no stopping her. So sacrament meeting progressed in the usual way, only a little bit of ward business and at 2 minutes to 12 the old woman stood up.  At 12:15 I saw her glance up at the clock and thought, "OK, she's getting ready to wrap it up" nope. At 12:22, she finally sat down, looked up and said, "Oh my word, did I really talk that long?", uhmm yeah. Then we sang a super long intermediate hymn, all the verses, and I was left with about 10 minutes. 10 minutes??? Afterward my husband told me it was my best talk ever, he really liked it, especially because I didn't make any jabs at him...well, duh, I didn't have time...

No comments: