Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Memories VI

I don't have any pictures for this one!!!

When I was little, I must have been around 5-6 years old, my Dad got an idea. I don't know what international crisis motivated him. He cut out of paneling, the words "PEACE ON EARTH". Then we spent a family home evening, covering the letters with glue and silver glitter. These letters had to be at least 3 feet high each. Then he hung the letters on the north side of our house, where they could be seen from Kannah Creek Road, with spotlights on them at night.

I only remember them up for about two years, but my niece Jackie says she remembers them being up. I really wish we had a picture.

UPDATE:
Upon further review (I sound like an NFL ref)

I believe, after further investigation, that there may have been two separate sign events. I distinctly remember making signs in my parents family room, because we had linoleum in our family room, and that is where we made them, and the glitter was all over that linoleum for months after. Plus, I remember it being before my mother got the "throw-up" carpet. I think the first set of signs were MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Then, I believe that during the first Gulf War, my Dad and family made a second set that said PEACE ON EARTH, because my niece Jackie remembers that and Nancy remembers making them in the silver barn, which we didn't have until I was about 6.

Isn't that the trouble with memories?  Sometimes they get all jumbled up.

No comments: