Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Gun Control

Events of the last few weeks have both angered and saddened me. I actually started thinking about this particular post earlier in December when Emily called and informed me that she had a lock down at GJHS for the third time this year. When I asked her why the most recent lock down, she said staff had informed them that "someone was seen in the area with a weapon". I thought that was about the dumbest thing I had heard from government schools in quite sometime. I told Emily "that's interesting I drive a weapon by that school all the time".

Properly trained people can make "weapons" out of just about anything, and people are killed every day from all kinds of things that don't require a trigger. Outlawing things have worked so well in this country...alcohol, speeding, meth, polygamy...  So I'm sure more regulatory paperwork will make all of America a safer place.

Interestingly enough, I don't think I'm alone in this opinion, since gun sales have absolutely soared since this particular slaughter of innocents. Currently the wait time in Colorado is 10 days because of the huge back log of  background checks, and good luck in finding any .223's or decent ammo in this town. One of the things that makes me the maddest is the assumption that all gun owners are guilty simply by owning a firearm. The presumption that all gun owners are suspect and would do something like Newtown is as insulting as it is misinformed. I will admit that there are people who own guns that make me nervous, but there are people that drive cars that make me nervous as well.

Now we have legislators arguing over banning "assault rifles" which I would like to know what is an "assault rifle" exactly. Does that mean any semi automatic? Because, my son's 22 is a semi automatic. Does that mean anything that you wouldn't use for hunting?  I know a lot of people that own 50 cals, and I can assure you they aren't packing them out on an elk hunt. How about gun owners that don't hunt, would that make them automatically ineligible to own a firearm?

Remember the idiot teenagers in the mid-West that poisoned people with the drinks at a church social? Remember the Tylenol crazy who killed a couple people? Or the idiot back in the 30's who blew up a school with dynamite because he hadn't been elected? Or maybe you can recall the "radicals" of the Muslim faith who flew airplanes into buildings? No guns involved there.

You can't legislate evil out of this world. (I think I know who's plan that was)What we can do is allow people the freedom to defend themselves. I posted along time ago, right after the Fort Hood attack, about my conversation with my husband and my decision on owning and/or carrying a handgun. I standby my opinions formed then, if you own a gun, you have to make the decision in advance that you can defend yourself with it, or you have no reason to be using it in that capacity.

I weep for the families of Newtown, but I also weep for all the other victims of senseless violence, or the innocents in far away lands where violence is a way of life. After 9/11, we were repeatedly told to not blame the Mulsim faith., it was just a few radicals, and now all gun owners are suspect for malevolent purposes. I live in my little circle of this world, it is the part that I can influence. I will stand against evil, I will stand against people who will attempt to take that ability from me, and I will fight for my children, my family, my neighbors, and the gospel of Christ.

No comments: