Sunday, December 29, 2013

In A Moment

I needed to go into Wal-Mart the other morning before work. So I was standing in the check out line at 7 am when I looked behind me, there standing in the line was a young woman that I had gotten to know a couple years ago. When I first met her she was a vivacious young woman, so incredibly sweet and full of kindness. I know she came from some difficult circumstances, but she had a large family and a lot of support.

I haven't seen her for a couple years, but as I looked at her standing in that check out line I could see in one moment where she had been, what had become of her, and probably what her future held. She was standing in the checkout line of Wal-Mart at 7am, purchasing a box of diapers, a package of baby wipes and had a thug looking young man standing behind her. She looked beaten, worn down and hollow. The young man she was with looked smug.

My heart ached in that moment. Such a lovely young lady, and now a series of choices has led her down this path. I don't know if there is anything that I could have done but still I was so sad for her, her child, and even the mislead young man behind her.


No comments: